Spontaneously

on Monday, February 6, 2012

Yesterday, I got to experience the wonders of choral music in all of its spontaneous glory.
Without going into long-winded detail, some friends from Cantiamo came down to Victoria for an improv tournament, and another ex-Cantiamite came from the mainland to watch with me. One of the improvisers was singing Jonathan Quick's "Loch Lomond" and another boy from an opposing team joined in. The improviser came and gathered up a few more of us, and we managed to trudge our way through the entire song. Although there were parts missing and muddled words, that was half of the glory of it. I'm so used to this happening at choral festivals, but it was pretty neat to have this happen at an event that, although still fine arts, was not remotely related to choir.  Basically, it threw in my face just how much I miss Cantiamo and everyone in it; however, it also reinforced just how lucky I am to be at schoo
l, and working my way towards being able to spontaneously share music as my profession. That is such a calming idea, especially after such a tumultuous first year. It was nice to be reminded just how powerful music can be. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment