Okay, so there's a big ol' controversy now about the KONY2012 situation, particularly aimed at the Invisible Children charity itself, so I figured I'd add my two cents.
Firstly, I think it's really important that people DO read the articles that are skeptical about the IC - there's no point in not being educated. On that note, I'd like to admit that I, although I've read through some articles, mission statements, seen the video, etc., am still not THAT educated when it comes to this situation, so you'll have to forgive (and correct) any mistakes made, but most of the following statements are meant to be a matter of opinion.
According to many of the articles, only 1/3 of their funding is apparently going directly to the cause, which is unfortunate. However, 1/3 is still a huge amount more than I can say I've put towards it, so at least it is a start. Regardless of the size of an organization, particularly one who's focused on advertising and spreading awareness, they would have fees to deal with, so it's unrealistic that 100% would be going to it. I am also tentative about supporting a military intervention (another point of controversy regarding the IC's intentions), but honestly I haven't read up enough on that to make an educated decision.
But the fact is, the positive intentions are there. Awareness is being spread extremely effectively, and I think that's important. I don't think anyone will disagree with me when I say that Joseph Kony is a bad guy, and should be stopped. I can honestly say that 24 hours ago I had no idea what was going on in Uganda, and I believe that I'd be in the majority to admit that. And through the use of the video and social networking, I've seen people who normally open a book or sit still for 15 minutes watch and support a 30 minute video. You may call that ignorant, but I call it inspiring.
If you don't support the organization, but you do support the cause, then your solution isn't all that difficult:
If you dont support the IC, dont buy their products; but if you want to participate in Cover the Night make your own! Write to your government independently and voice your opinions on the situation. Don't like the message of the video? Don't share it.
Bashing things on Facebook wont get you anywhere - be proactive.

0 comments:
Post a Comment